Saturday, June 15, 2013

THE FOREVER CARD

(In honor and memory of my loving, charismatic, witty dad)

My dad was an example of what a spiritually balanced diet is!  He ministered outside our home as a wonderful pastor/missionary but also ministered inside the home as a great husband, father, and leader.

According to the world’s picture of success, we did not have much.  According to God’s definition, we were rich!  The Lord called my dad to go into all the world and preach the gospel and that he did!  But, he did not forget that we, his family, were also a part of that world.  He and mom were our sanctuary of learning.  So, we watched.

With this being Father’s Day, I want to honor mine by telling you how he lived the example to be, the manual of honor, the study guide of strength,  the format of faith, the blueprint of love. 

Mom and dad were the first vision for me and my two siblings of what love looks like.  How thankful I am they gave us love in truth; the real meaning, unmasked love.  Irritable moments became laughter, disappoints grew dedication and they never forgot they were teaching and we were watching.

Though at the time I didn’t realize, until now, he was teaching me how love in action are moments that become the forever.

Sometimes Dad might not have had the money to get mom a gift but he would always make sure to have her a card for her birthday, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, or just because.  There were even on some occasions when he would just write her a note or a poem.  From what I know, his love notes started back when they were in high school.  Marriage, kids and the busyness of ministry didn’t stop this act of love.  Years go by and dad’s health is poor yet his heart is still rich in love with mom.  His health stole from him the joy of picking out the cards himself, but, it did not stop him.  You see, he called upon me, “Here’s some money.  Could you please buy mom a card for me?”  Oh how I always wanted to get that perfect card to say the love he showed her.  Remember, I was watching. 

Thank you, dad for teaching me that it really isn’t the actual card or how much you spend; it is the display of love we show in all we do.  You helped me to understand that although most cards are thrown away or misplaced over time, making phone calls to friends or family when you don’t have much to say, or when sitting in the lawn chairs sharing conversation with the one you love is not on the “to do” list, those are the things that make life rich and the “heart thoughts” that make those moments A Forever Card.
 

Psalm 27:4
 One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Kathy! Thanks for sharing the beauty of your Daddy's heart! Love you, Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winnie, it was easy. That's what love does... makes life easy. Love you, too, my friend!

    ReplyDelete